Background

8.26.2012

Where I've Been ~ Part 1

Hi Everyone!

Now that all of our guests are gone, it's time for me to tell you what I've been doing!

Before all of our company arrived, Lindsay and I made swimsuits for our dolls using My Froggy Stuff's video.  They turned out great!  We actually found the exact same socks that My Froggy Stuff used at Target on clearance for a $1.50.  We decided to use the other sock, too, and made a towel out of the upper part.  We cut the sock at the ankle for the towels (they were knee socks), so the foot part of the sock works as an ankle sock, and we were very proud of ourselves for not wasting any part of the sock.  Click here to watch the video on how to make the swimsuits.

We have been on several hikes, but that will be another post, because I have SO many pictures!

A few months ago, my grandmother (dad's mom) passed away.  We called her 'Muffin.'  Muffin had been coming to the lake since she was a little girl, and my dad and his brother and sister have been coming here all their lives.  Muffin didn't want a "funeral" and she wanted her memorial to be at Lake Tahoe.  Summer was her favorite season here, so everyone came this summer for a reunion and memorial for Muffin.  We went on a hike, and from where we were at, we had a beautiful view of the lake.  We definitely have her to thank for exposing us to this special place.  We read some of her favorite poems, and we all shared special memories and thoughts, and then we toasted to her with champagne (a favorite of hers) - of course, the kids had sparkling cider.  We all had a piece of chocolate (another favorite of hers).  It was very nice.  We were able to ride our bikes to our hiking spot, and it was a beautiful day.  We were lucky enough to have our spot all to ourselves that day; there were no other hikers during a special time of remembrance.  That evening we did her favorite summer BBQ, and followed that with her favorite desserts.  We shared memories and special times about her as a family.  We continued the memorial throughout the week by doing things that she loved and did with her children and remembering the special times they had.

When my aunt, uncle, and cousins were here, we did lots of fun stuff!  In our family, we have a very special tradition; every year when they are here, we go to Sand Harbor.  My dad and his sister and brother went there every year when they were kids with their mom, so we've continued the tradition.  When we go to Sand Harbor, we always make Tuna Salad Sandwiches.  I haven't liked them for a long time, but this year I tried it again, and I really like them now!  We had a lot of fun at the beach, and the water felt really nice!

Other adventures throughout the week included rafting down the river, jet skiing, bike riding, and fishing.  I didn't want to go on the jet ski at first, but then I decided I would.  At first I was TERRIFIED!!  But then, near the end of my ride, I calmed down, and my dad went a little faster.  It became fun, and I had a great time!

Unfortunately, one of my cousins (the oldest) could only stay for a few days, because he had to fly back home to get back to work.  My other cousin really wanted to go fishing, so he bought a fishing pole, bait, hooks, and some other things to fish with.  We fished of the dock a little bit, and he caught a small fish, but he let it go, because it was too small to keep.  We decided to go to D.L. Bliss to fish, but even though we were there for hours, we only got one bite, and didn't catch anything.  That night, we went down to the pier, and right as we were going to leave, I asked if I could cast one more time.  I hooked a fish, and we reeled it in.  We decided to bring it home for a little appetizer, because we were pretty desperate.  We cleaned it up, and casted for a little while longer.  We hooked a few more (and lost them), but decided to go home, because it was getting dark, and it was starting to rain.  My dad BBQ'd it up for everyone and it tasted very good.  We were happy that we caught SOMETHING, even though it was only about a foot long!

Speaking of rain, my aunt loves it when there is a mountain thunderstorm, and we had a full on electrical storm!  It rained and thundered, and the lightning was incredible!  We stood out on the deck under the umbrella, and it was amazing!  Summer storms are pretty cool!

In the midst of all of this, Lindsay lost a tooth!  My cousin kept telling her: "just pull it out!" and she did!

On the last night of our reunion/memorial week, another aunt, uncle, and cousin arrived.  We were happy to have one night where everyone could be together and had a lot of fun.  It was a great visit!  I hope to see them again soon!

Here are some pictures:

 Elizabeth in the swimsuit I made her.  I made one for Audrey too, but I don't have any pictures.  Her swimsuit is the exact same as the one that My Froggy Stuff made.

So cute!

On the hike for Muffin's memorial.

My aunt reading poems.

 We continued our celebration of Muffin with a summer BBQ with her favorites, and her favorite chocolate ice cream (Sunnyside Brand "Death By Chocolate") and chocolate cake.  She loved chocolate!

 My aunt making Tuna Salad Sandwiches.

 Me going in the water at Sand Harbor.

I swam out to the tube with my dad and sister.

Lindsay in a raft.

Me on the jet ski with my dad.

It was a lot of fun!

Lindsay with her tooth.

Unfortunately, I don't really have a picture of the fish we caught that doesn't look kinda gross, so I'll just leave that to your imagination!

~Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello!

In order for this to be a safe website that viewers of all ages can view, please no:
-swearing
-rude or bad language
-use of OMG

Please respect others thoughts, but feel free to kindly and nicely disagree on any matter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...